Don’t get too excited, I haven’t started writing. I had a big burst of writing inspiration back in April, but the journal wasn’t ready. After working on it recently, it is more ready. It is funny. I worked on it diligently and thought I was done with all of the backgrounds. As I looked through it after everything was dry, I saw other spots and pages that needed work.
If you haven’t been to work of heart, you need to put it on your list for your next vacation. After going to see the Rosacrucian Museum, you need to spend some time at A Work of Heart. As I have said before, it is an awesomely creative environment.
Some of the pages were too dark. In my previous post about this journal, I showed the Credit Card plaid. While the page above is not the credit card plaid page, it was just as dark. Andrea had some spray on Gesso, which makde short work of lightening the page. It is a spray paint type of application, which I didn’t much like (had on my cute clothes), but I did like the end result. I think it will be much easier to write on this page with it lighter.
While I don’t have a complete plan for how I am going to work with this journal, I do know that I wanted page numbers. The Child usually gets a slice of pizza at a place which requires we take a number. I realized that the numbers would make interesting, if a little large, page numbers.
The point of the journal is to explore the word “Purpose.” To that end, I wanted to, first, explore the shape of the letters of the word. I stamped and pasted letters on to almost every page. The letters on the page above are favorites.
One of the techniques Andrea showed us was the one above – creating a silhouette page out of pan pastel and a magazine photo. One of the other students did it and I borrowed her silhouette and added it to my journal.
The page number on this page is a little different. I got a pack of note cards at IKEA which depict address signs on one side. Each pack has a different group of numbers, but the back of each pack shows a tiny illustration of all of the notecards. I cut out each of the numbers and used it for the page numbers. There weren’t enough for every page, so there are a variety throughout the book.
There is another class in July. We’ll see if I can make it and actually finish my journal.