Below are links to posts that include one of my tutorials or how-to posts. Many of them are built off of what others have done. All of these are done TJW. Keep that in mind as you may have your own way. Click on the link to find the original tutorial or instructions.
Basic Sampler Quilt Class Tutorials
- Dresden Plate: tutorial on making a Dresden Plate block using templates
- Double Pinwheel: a double pinwheel is a good block to learn triangles on.
- Fabric Selection
- Flower Basket
- Flying Geese
- Foundation Piecing
- New York Beauty Part 1 – Supply list, prep
- New York Beauty Part 2 – Piecing Spiky triangle part
- New York Beauty Part 3 – Piecing second foundation pieced part
- New York Beauty Part 4 – getting ready to sew the major parts of your block together.
- New York Beauty Part 5 – Putting the whole block together
- Color and fabric choices
- LeMoyne Star
- Nine Patch
- Machine Applique‘ with tips for drawing patterns
- Fusible Machine Applique’
Chunking It: ‘chunking it’ refers to a way of assembling quilt blocks using the shortest possible seams. This method is used instead of putting a quilt together in rows.
Guide to Pieced Backs: Not so much a tutorial as a guide. Tips and tricks on making pieced backs.
Other Helpful Tutorials
Corner Store Blocks: guidelines (a tutorial) on making the Corner Store blocks
Disappearing Pinwheel: tutorial on my way of making the Disappearing Pinwheel block
Facing: I started with Jeri Riggs directions and some help from Maureen over at Flies in the Cathedral. I have modified it a bit more to use strips double the size folded in half so I don’t have to stitch a hem.
Flowering Snowball blocks: these blocks have curves and inset seams. Fun, but not for the faint of heart. How to make the traditional pattern, Flowering Snowball. This block is #3081 in the numbering system of Barbara Brackman’s book.
Gift Bags: these bags are great to use instead of wrapping paper. You can use them year after year. Depending on the fabric, they are good for all occasions.
Journal Cover: how to make a journal cover. This builds off of the patterns over at Exuberant Color and All People Quilt.
Kelly’s Bag- make this after you have practiced some free motion quilting. Makes a great gift.
Pillowcases Guide – guide for making pillowcases.
Scissor Sheath – guide for making a protector for your small scissors
Triangle Technique: tutorial and size chart on making 8 half square triangles (triangle squares) using the X method at one time.