Below are links to posts that include one of my tutorials or how-to posts. Many of them are built off of what others have done. All of these are done TJW. Keep that in mind as you may have your own way. Click on the link to find the original tutorial or instructions.
Basic Sampler Quilt Class Tutorials (the tutorials are in order of how I teach them)
- Fabric Selection
- Color and fabric choices
- Nine Patch
- Double Pinwheel: a double pinwheel is a good block to use to learn sew triangles.
- Flying Geese
- Dresden Plate: tutorial on making a Dresden Plate block using templates
- Flower Basket
- Foundation Piecing
- New York Beauty Part 1 – Supply list, prep
- New York Beauty Part 2 – Piecing Spiky triangle part
- New York Beauty Part 3 – Piecing second foundation pieced part
- New York Beauty Part 4 – getting ready to sew the major parts of your block together.
- New York Beauty Part 5 – Putting the whole block together
- LeMoyne Star
- Basic Machine Applique‘ with tips for drawing patterns
- Fusible Machine Applique’
- Rose Wreath/Flower Wreath Part 1
- Rose Wreath/Flower Wreath Part 2
- Rose Wreath/Flower Wreath Part 3
- Machine Applique’ with Directional Motifs, such as letters and numbers
- Preparing for Quilting
Chunking It: ‘chunking it’ refers to a way of assembling quilt blocks using the shortest possible seams. This method is used instead of putting a quilt together in rows.
Guide to Pieced Backs: Not so much a tutorial as a guide. Tips and tricks on making pieced backs.
Other Helpful Tutorials
Corner Store Blocks: guidelines (a tutorial) on making the Corner Store blocks
Disappearing Pinwheel: tutorial on my way of making the Disappearing Pinwheel block
Facing: I started with Jeri Riggs directions and some help from Maureen over at Flies in the Cathedral. I have modified it a bit more to use strips double the size folded in half so I don’t have to stitch a hem.
Flowering Snowball blocks: these blocks have curves and inset seams. Fun, but not for the faint of heart. How to make the traditional pattern, Flowering Snowball. This block is #3081 in the numbering system of Barbara Brackman’s book.
Gift Bags: these bags are great to use instead of wrapping paper. You can see and admire your fabrics and use them year after year. Vary the fabric to make bags suitable for all occasions.
Handles: this tutorial makes up very sturdy bag handles with flair. It was written to supplement the handle section of the Noodlehead Cargo Duffle 2 pattern. You can, however, use it for different bags. Vary the length of the handles according to your needs.
Journal Cover: how to make a journal cover. This builds off of the patterns over at Exuberant Color and All People Quilt.
Kelly’s Bag– make this after you have practiced some free motion quilting. Makes a great gift.
Pillowcases Guide – guide for making pillowcases.
Scissor Sheath – guide for making a protector for your small scissors
Triangle Technique: tutorial and size chart on making 8 half square triangles (triangle squares) using the X method at one time.
- Wine Bottle Gift Bags: this is more of a list of guidelines and process information, but you can make these awesome looking bags from the guidelines.
- Zig Zaggy Quilt: how to make my version of Elizabeth Hartman’s New Wave quilt.